What will you remember about this project? "The people, the food, the things we did, going to Twitter...friends"
'It surprised me that we did it. We designed a project (to carry out locally) and we actually did it”
‘It turned into this lovely big thing…
NYCI Youth Arts Advocacy Project for Young People Now Open for Applications!
Is there a burning youth arts issue in your community (you need a new home for your group, you’d like to be able to welcome more new members – or maybe you just want to celebrate and tell everyone about the great work your group does!) We have the youth leadership project for you!
Using NYCI’s advocacy expertise across a range of issues affecting young people for many years, and the experience of successfully hosting the National Youth Arts Showcase, The National Youth Council of Ireland invites applications from 3-4 young people plus a leader, to take part in youth arts advocacy/leadership training.
This training will take place over 2 days in Dublin include a number of expert inputs on how decisions in Ireland are made, communications and working with the media, working with elected representatives and using your voice to promote your message.
There will also be opportunities for young people to continue to work with NYCI on other advocacy events (for example in the past young people have presented their experiences of being part of arts projects to Joint Oireachtas Committees, met with relevant ministers etc. This year’s participants produced a film and a social media campaign, attended a Hackathon at Twitter HQ and will shortly be presenting their work at NYCI’s annual conference).
Aswell as meeting experts in their field and exploring youth leadership and advocacy, participants very much enjoyed the residential and social element of meeting and making friends with young people from other youth arts projects.
- You must be a member of a youthwork organisation with an arts project /arts dimension or a specialised youth work project or organisation such as a youth theatre, film project, youth orchestra or band etc
- You must be between 16-19 years old
- Your organisation or project must commit to supporting you with this training (by committing to help you host an event or initiative in your local area after the training and having a leader accompany you to the training)
- We envisage teams of 3-4 young people and a leader applying together from each interested project
- Priority will be given to applications from member organisations of The National Youth Council.
Training will take place in Dublin 4th/5th February 2017.
Expenses (travel, accommodation, training, evening activities and meals) will be covered by NYCI and a small ‘seed funding’ grant will be available to help support your local initiative.
Successful groups will be expected to abide by NYCI’s Welfare Policy and other relevant NYCI policies.
To apply please request an application form from Anne O’Gorman, Senior Project Officer, Youth Arts, National Youth Council of Ireland, 3 Montague St, Dublin 2 or phone 01 4255932 with any questions. We can’t wait to hear from you!
Deadline for applications: Friday 27th January 2017.